Sunday, August 10, 2008

4 Aug - Dubai

Big day ahead of me today. I have the 4x4 desert safari this arvo, so have to get as much in as possible before then. I got up and went looking for a taxi. Not as easy as I thought. There were plenty of taxis around, but most of them full. A couple were empty but just kept driving when I tried waving them down. Finally got a taxi, and headed towards the Burj Al Arab, the big hotel. On the way we passed through the CBD of Dubai. Saw the Burj Dubai from a bit of a distance...HUGE!


Got to the Burj Al Arab to find out you can only get right up to it is you have a reservation at the hotel. Took a couple of photos from the front gate, then headed to the Spice Souk (market). This was a bit of a let down, so I decided to wander along the foreshore of the canal sort of thing. My hotel was pretty close so I could walk back. It was great walking along, seeing them loading the old wooden boats with everything from toys to fruit to tyres.



Took a bunch of photos but started suffering in the heat when I ran out of water. Easily over 40 degrees and it was barely noon. Stopped at a little cafe place for lunch and a needed drink, then headed back to the hotel intent on going for a swim before the 4x4 trip. The pool was closed. How fun.

Hung around my room, had a bit of a nap, realised I had to call the tour company to confirm the time of the trip, then waited.

Finally the car came to pick me up. I was in a car with a couple from Brisbane (Lyle and...I'm going to say Margaret...possibly). They were heading around Europe after Dubai. The 4x4 trip started with us driving to the desert...about 15 minute. It was not to bad in the desert. Over 45 degrees, but dry so it felt better than the humid city. The dune bashing part was pretty tame, even for me who's never been before. There were about 6 cars of us in Landcruisers. I felt sorry for the "VIP" group in the Hummer. The thing is about twice the size (and probably weight) of the Lancruiser but had about the same ground clearance, would not have been a comfy ride.



After a bit of dune bashing we stopped at a pretty tall dune which we climbed and then at a camel farm (pretty dull, we have more camels back home anyway) and then onto the campsite for dinner. This was a pretty fake desert camp, with camels rides (walking in a 20 meter wide circle) and sand boarding (down a slope that barely qualified as a dune. There was also a falconer and some Sheesha and Hookers...I mean Hookahs. I was going to try the Sheesha...but I forgot.







Dinner was nice and I ate plenty, then there was a belly dancer...who looked like she'd spent the year in England...she was pretty pale.



After the belly dancer we headed back. I headed to my room and got ready to wake up at 6.30 the next day to get to the airport and out of Dubai for Venice.

Signing off...

No comments: