Sunday, August 10, 2008

3 Aug - Perth to Dubai

After fears of a sleepless flight and an afternoon running on reserves, things turned out slightly better. I slept for at least a couple of hours on and off over the flight. Woo! It does help when there's no one next to you or behind. I also watch a documentary called Zombie Alligators. Best...Name...Ever.

11.5 hours on a plane is long, made worse when you wear tight jeans...oh well, that's what buttons are for. The announcement that the temperature in Dubai on arrival was 44 degrees was good to hear too. I also got a little lost in the airport. I was following a girl who looked like she knew where she was going, but then saw a big group of people lining up...I panicked and went the wrong way.

A taxi to the hotel was only about $7...and since flag-fall was about 6 of that, not too bad. Had a shower as soon as I got to the hotel, then had a wander around the area near the hotel.



Didn't really find anything exciting, other than my camera fogging up in the humidity, so went back to the hotel and at 5 got on the free bus to Deira City Centre, a big shopping centre. Had a meal at TGI Fridays...every single casual restaurant was American (TGI's, Chilli's, etc.). Pretty big place, my feet were aching by 9 when the bus came. Didn't by much though, just a little wooden box and Arab style message canister. There was a Levi's store and store with a heap of Nike stuff, but nothing interesting. Oh except that there was some sort of Cirque de Sole style thing going on in the centre. Pretty crazy, and there was a TopShop right next to it...didn't buy anything, though almost got a John Lennon t-shirt.



Got back to the hotel and was absolutely knackered, so I went to bed early. I did also notice a sticker on the ceiling pointing to Mecca. Now I get why it's in the room, but why it's on the ceiling...who knows.



Highlight of the day: seeing a store called "Fag Middle East"...unfortunately it's the only funny shop name I've seen.



Also, there's lots of Hummers.




Signing off...

No comments: