Sunday, August 10, 2008

5 Aug - Venice

I got up early and got downstairs to get out of the hotel and to the airport. For a second it looked as though they'd lost my passport, but they tracked it down. Got outside and waited for a taxi. Ended up getting a private car to the airport. Probably cost more, but there were no taxis around.

The airport was pretty uneventful...oh I did get my Cinnabon on before the flight. Tasty.



The flight was ok. Watched Iron Man (good) and the last 2 thirds of Kung-Fu Panda (better than I expected). This flight was even quieter than the previous, so plenty of room...except I had a damn Nun in front of me who kept leaning her chair back...smacked the lid of my laptop in my face one time.

Got to Venice, and went to change money to pay for the bus to the island...man they had bad rates here. Ended up using an ATM, even after the $5 fee, it was still better than the money changers.

After a pretty short bus trip, I met up with mum and dad on Venice island(s). Didn't really feel like nearly 5 weeks since I'd seen them. After going to the hotel (we have two separate rooms for the first night, but are going to change tomorrow night) we went for a wander around Venice. It's a beautiful place. Wasn't too hot, and the water didn't smell so it was good. We walked all around to the Rialto Bridge. Some nice things on the way. Too much to talk about individually, just look at the photos. All the photos on here are just a quick selection and a bit of a touch up.


We had dinner at a place on the water, sat next to a guy from Brisbane who's been working in London for the last 9 months. He had the Black Sauce pasta (black as in ink from a squid black), which is apparently a specialty of Venice. I think I'll try tomorrow.

Went out for a bit of a wander and more photos after dinner, then turned in for the night.




Signing off...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are hilarious! photos are killer specially of venice! keep us updated!!!say hey to ur folks and check ur facebook msgs!